Thursday, January 27, 2011

Round Five: Someone to look up to

Well, it was late 2003, and Angie had blown 3 shots at the perfect woman, so Hannah decided to throw her hat in the ring. Hannah was a friend from church who travelled to doctor's offices, and she knew a nice girl from Newport, KY that I might find interesting. Hannah introduced me, via e-mail, to Sandra. Sandra was a very nice woman who was 32 years old, divorced, with 1 child.

I went through the motions of talking, being polite, and waiting for the other shoe to drop right on my head. It never happened. I took it slower than before. I was more than a little apprehensive after all the things that happened. Sandra was also going slow. I figured she had been involved in some bad dates as well, but her reasons were completely different from mine, as I was to discover.

After two months of back and forth, we finally decided to go ahead and have dinner. We had exchanged pictures, and were ready to finally meet in person. She assured me there were no naked pictures of her on the internet, and she would be fully dressed when I arrived. She did concede that she was planning to wear her best underwear. Of course, she did it with a laugh, and I could appreciate the humor.

Friday came, and I drove down to northern Kentucky to pick up my date. It was January, 2004, and there was a lot of snow on the ground. When I got to Sandra's house, I walked to the door and rang the bell. She opened the door, and as I walked into her house, I felt like Alastair Sim walking up to the banquet table to see the Ghost of Christmas Present. I am 6'2", but I was still looking up at her. She was 6'6" tall. She could have mentioned that little tidbit. She said she liked tall guys. She should have said NBA guys.

Prior to selecting a vehicle, it's always nice to know whether your date can fit in your car. Seriously, we had to take her SUV because she was too tall for my car. At dinner, I grabbed a booster seat on the way to the table.

In addition to her height, she had one of the most annoying laughs I've ever heard. The best way to describe the howling  is to cross the wicked witch with a braying donkey, all at around 100 decibels. Every time she laughed, and she laughed at everything, the entire restaurant turned to watch the giant and her little friend.

After what could only have been 48 hours, dinner was over. I took her home and left without finding out if she was wearing her best underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment